Post-Primary Languages Ireland (PPLI) works to implement the policy of the Department of Education in Ireland of diversifying, enhancing and expanding the teaching of foreign languages in post-primary schools and has a role in implementing key actions in Languages Connect – Ireland’s Strategy for Foreign Languages in Education 2017-2026 and Implementation Plan 2017-2022 (links to the strategy documents are available here). Further details about PPLI and its work is available at Post-Primary Languages Ireland | Welcome to the The Post-Primary Languages Ireland (ppli.ie) and Languages Connect | Broaden Your Horizons | Home.
PPLI wishes to appoint an Education Officer to support the implementation of the above strategy. The person appointed will be responsible for a number of key areas of work including the following:
- Assist with awareness raising campaign promoting the value and importance of learning foreign languages and maintaining home languages
- Disseminate resources created and schemes facilitated by PPLI among school leaders, MFL teachers and guidance counsellors
- Liaise and follow up with schools introducing new languages as a result of sending teachers on language upskilling programmes and monitor the provision of these languages
- encourage and support the use of innovative teaching methods and digital technologies for learning languages
- contribute to the fostering communities of practice among foreign languages teachers
- Support the implementation of initiatives to increase foreign languages provision including at primary and post-primary, using a variety of models including blended learning
- deliver CPD for teachers of new languages; design and provide resources to support quality learning and teaching
- collaborate with relevant agencies and cultural institutes to promote excellence in language learning and teaching
The person appointed will also be expected to be familiar with the key issues at all sectors of the education system relevant to the remit of PPLI.
The post is a full-time position. In the case of a teacher in Ireland contracted on secondment the initial contract would be for one year. In the case of other candidates the contract is a one-year fixed term contract (with six-month probationary period).
Please download the Information Booklet.
Application Form must be fully completed at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/EdOfficer0222
Application Deadline: Friday, 18th February, 11am.