On European Day of Languages this year we called on teachers to tell us what they were doing to celebrate languages in their classrooms. Almost 40 teachers came back to us on Facebook and Twitter to share their ideas with us and we loved your ideas so much we decided to compile the top 5 together!
- At home Bake off! Students baked a cake with a European theme at home, took pics & sent them to their language teacher. The entries judged by a neutral party & prizes were sponsored by the school & local business. – Coláiste Mhuire Cóbh
- Simultaneous interpreting! Students had to interpret from German, Spanish or French into English. – Holy Family Secondary School Newbridge
- Student led video project! Students spoke in their their mother tongue and said how happy they were to be back at school and all the clips in different languages were put together with a beautiful song called “we are united” made by our students. –
- Researching lesser known languages! Students have to find information about their given language and research how to say: hello, goodbye, how to count to 5, a common boys and girls name and any other info about the language they can find! –
- MFL X Factor! Students try their hand at singing some songs in another language and record themselves to enter. The winner is picked by the MFL teachers! – Archbishop McHale College Tuam
Thank you to all the teachers who entered the competition and provided such creative and fun ideas to celebrate languages!