PPLI provide a number of language-related resources and substantive supports relevant to specific post-Primary stages.
Post-Primary Languages Ireland provides a number of supports for Leaving Certificate students and their teachers and is prepared to deliver new resources and training in the coming years as educational reforms begin at Senior Cycle.
Our PPLI supports include:
- the employment, training and deployment of teachers to deliver support classes for heritage language speakers wishing to take Leaving Certificate Exams in their languages.
- an online provision for the support of heritage language speakers in preparation for their respective Leaving Certificate examinations (coming soon).
- direct supports for Japanese and Russian at Leaving Certificate level.
- guidelines produced for school management on how to diversify, enhance and expand MFL education in schools
- providing teachers with a platform to share best practice in MFL education through Spotlight on Schools
- providing training (both online and in person) in the use of cutting edge approaches and pedagogies for the MFL classroom appropriate for the age and stage
- training for the use of digital tools for language learning
- training and resource supports for Language Assistants and their Cooperating Teachers
In conjunction with Languages Connect
- providing funding for teachers to undertake fully-funded training to up-skill in another language so that schools can offer more languages at this level
- providing presentations to students at this level about the importance of considering languages at Leaving Certificate level.
- working with Careers Portal to create a search engine function within the platform to help students to find courses in third level institutions that have language learning or year abroad element.
- providing funding and supports for summer camps for Heritage Language speakers and Lesser-taught languages
In collaboration with other government agencies:
- providing CPD conferences for MFL teachers such as JCT and PDST